Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Mad.Mane of The Week: Nikki

Introduce yourself: Hi! My name is Nikki, I'm a Bio-Chemistry student born and raised in Chicago, IL.

What is your hair type? I definitely have type 4 hair, 4a to be exact with what looks like 4b texture in some areas and 3c texture around the nape.

When and why did you decide to go natural? I started getting relaxers at a young age and surprisingly, growing up my hair was always a decent length (past shoulder length). It wasn't until my high school years when I went on a hair coloring "rampage" that I started to see the affects of the dying and bleaching on top of having a relaxer. My hair was badly damaged and I knew if I went natural my hair would be healthier and longer, which is what I wanted. I've been natural now for almost 3 years.

BC or Transitioned? For me transitioning was NOT an option just because I knew I wouldn't have the patience to deal with the two textures, and I just wanted to get rid of the damaged relaxed hair that I held on to for so long. I wanted a fresh start!

If you were stuck on a deserted island and got to have three hair products what would they be?
Probably my Cantu Shea butter leave-in, definitely my 100% African Shea butter and my olive oil.

What is your washing regimen? I wash my hair every week (every two weeks during the winter months), and I like to try different shampoos, so right now I'm using Design Essential's Natural Curl Cleanser. After I shampoo my hair I deep condition using Organic Root Stimulator's Deep Penetrating Conditioner or Jane Carter's Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner. Once I deep condition I like to detangle my hair in sections while applying my Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in.

What style do you enjoy the most? I'm the twist-out queen! I love doing twist outs, especially on blown out hair.

What are your three hair don'ts? Not moisturizing my hair is a big no-no, as well as not deep conditioning, or detangling.

Who are your favorite natural blog or vloggers? I'm not really on a lot of hair blogs to pick a favorite, but I will say that during the second year of my natural hair journey I was on blackgirllonghair.com a lot and I still am. I love looking at all the gorgeous naturals on there, they also have a lot of helpful information. I basically love any natural hair blog that has useful information along with some natural hair eye candy lol including your blog!

What do you enjoy most about being natural? Versatility! I love how I can wear stretched out styles like twist-outs, braid-outs, or blow outs, and go back to a shrunken fro the next day. I also feel like going natural gave me more confidence and helped me grow into becoming my own woman. I know it's just hair, but it's something to be able to rock your own "nappy" hair, especially as a black woman and not be vexed!



No comments:

Post a Comment