Monday, July 22, 2013

Mad.Mane of the Week: Monique

Introduce yourself: Hello! My name is Monique. I was born in Pasadena, CA, raised in Hampton and I'm 22
years old.

What is your hair type? I have no idea what my hair type is. I wouldn't really consider my hair "kinky," I have spiral curls that aren't super tight, but they aren't loose at all.

When and why did you decide to go natural? I decided to go natural sometime in 2008; I was going into my senior year of high school. I just felt like I was wasting a lot of money on relaxers for no reason. I always knew I was able to straighten my hair and get it nice and silky as if it had been relaxed without it actually being relaxed, but I kept getting relaxers for the convenience. When I discovered that my curl patter would never be right with a relaxer, I knew it was quitting time.

BC or Transitioned? I transitioned. I just stopped getting relaxers and trimmed my hair little by little until it was all natural. I eventually got a short hair cut (for prom), but not a "big chop" hair cut.

If you were stuck on a deserted island and got to have three hair products what would they be? I'd NEED some Olive Oil Edge Control! Maybe a jar of Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream and a bottle of Motions Enhancing Oil Sheen Spray (which isn't actually made anymore, but I have connections!).

What is your washing regimen? I wash my hair about once or twice a week. When I wear a fro, I may co-wash it a couple times in between. When I was my hair, I normally use Pantene Relaxed and Natural shampoo and conditioner. I always let my conditioner sit for a while after I comb it through.

What style do you enjoy the most? I can't decide on just one! I love my fro, whether I just wash and go, twist it out or throw some Bantu Knots in it!

Your three hair don'ts? I try to stay away from permanent color, just because I straighten my hair often. Also, I have to tell myself to take the ponytail out every now and then. I know the breakage can be a nightmare. And I try to fight the urge to use JAM. A lot of people don't know it contains alcohol. I can't do products with alcohol.

Who are your favorite natural hair blog or vloggers? My favorite natural hair YouTube channel is MyNaturalSistas.


What do you enjoy most about being natural?
The versatility! If I want to have a big puff ball, I can. If I want my hair straight and silky, it's healthy enough to do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment