Monday, June 24, 2013

Mad.Mane of the Week: Ashleigh

Introduce yourself: My name is Ashleigh I am a 22 year old, born in Washington Heights New York City and raised in South Side Jamaica Queens.

What do you consider your hair type to be? If I were to give my hair a type I would say it is a mix between 3c and 4a. My curls are pretty tight and springy.

When and why did you decide to go natural? I decided to go natural during my sophomore at Hampton University. I was more so curious as to what my natural curl pattern looked like.

BC (Big Chopped) or Transitioned? I wasn't bold enough to do the Big Chop so I transitioned. The process was interesting. I could see my roots thickening as time went on and it motivated me to continue with it. Eventually my grandmother, who is a beautician, cut off the thin ends.


If you were stuck on a deserted island and got to have three hair products, what would they be? I'm actually not big on products as much as I should be only because I never know what to get...I want it all! With natural hair it is always trial and error so you can never know what would really work. However, if I was stranded on a deserted island with only three products I would have to bring my Nexxus leave in conditioner, it leaves my hair super soft and hydrated, next I would bring my Fantasia Frizz Buster, this stuff works wonders if you are looking for a more structured curl-do. Lastly, I would bring castor oil, it's great for promoting hair growth, you cant go wrong with that. 

What is your washing regimen? I usually like to wait a few weeks up to a month for washing, depending on how much oil/grease build-up has accumulated on my scalp. I use Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo and Nexxus Conditioner. My hair is fine but there is a lot of it so I part my hair in four sections and work on each, detangling as I go. It can take a while sometimes but once you get that comb from scalp to ends you feel accomplished. 

What hairstyle do you enjoy the most for yourself? I love braid out's! Mostly on blown out hair, you get volume and length which is great. 

Your three hair don'ts? Never do twist outs, braid outs etc. without filling your nails or you're liable to cut a few strands. Always protect your hair at night with a silk or satin scarf DON'T use and other material such as cotton or you will break the hair right off especially you edges (one of the most sensitive areas). I am guilty of not following this rule sometimes when I'm too tired BUT it's essential. Finally, don't let your hair get dry! We have to keep our hair hydrated/moisturized to compensate for the lack of natural oil. 

Who are your favorite natural hair Blog or Vloggers? My favorite hair vloggers are Naptural85 and longhairdontcare2011. Naptural85 has a tight curl pattern like mine so I get to see how she manages her mane. Longhairdontcare2011's channel shows different protective styles and ways to maintain length. Both vloggers have significantly long hair. My short term goal is to retain bra strap length and these two channels are helping me with this journey. 

What do you enjoy most about being natural? Being natural has allowed me to be more versatile with my hair. Not everyone has the option to have a fro one day and silky straightened hair the next. That is what have natural hair provides. When I wear my curls I feel carefree, wild and I love it. 













No comments:

Post a Comment